The paper traces its origins to an Augustinian Nationalist priest,
Fr James Anderson, a native of the town, who formed the Drogheda Independent
Club in 1881 to foster nationalist opinion in the town. The paper was closely
linked in those early days with the cause of the Land League and in identifying
itself with the plight of the small farmer. The Drogheda Independent came into
direct conflict with the two existing newspapers, the ‘Conservative’ and the
‘Argus’, leading to some fiery exchanges in print and Fr Anderson penning a
number of the most outspoken articles.